C oburg Cemetery was established in 1859 when at a public meeting Trustees were elected for the 'General Cemetery Pentridge'. The following year the 14.5 acre site was gazetted and divided into six compartments to reflect the denominational composition of the community plus a compartment for 'strangers'. The first recorded burial took place in 1875. It was that of Margaret Sullivan, a nineteen year old who had died of consumption. In the latter few years of the nineteenth century an internal Health Department report expressed concern about the need for better drainage, which was later rectified.
Entrance Gates circa 1902
During 1918 and 1919 the influenza had a dramatic impact on the health of the community. Schools closed and the cemetery was opened on Sundays to cope with the demand. Between the wars significant upgrades were made including bricklaying of pathways, water service extensions, sewerage works, new picket boundary fences and front entrance gates.
Entrance Gates circa 2009
Controversy erupted during the 1960s between the late Trustees and The Monumental Stone Masons Association forcing the State Government to remove the late Trustees and transferring their responsibilities to the Fawkner Trustees. During this time the unused cemetery lodge was replaced with a new lawn section.
In 2010 the Greater Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust was formed and the management of Coburg is assumed by this Trust. Recent upgrades to the cemetery include a new front fence, refurbishment of the front entrance gates and the removal of retired vegetation posing a threat to old monuments. A visitor's rotunda has been built and a self-guided hertitage walk developed.